Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A nagging idea

I’m trying to work out this idea I’ve been kicking around for awhile; working for myself, on boats full time (and not starving). Something like Lackey Sailing.

I have to say that my fine wood working skills are lacking. I want to talk and visit with people who do interior joinery for a living. I’m fortunate that my step-father is a fine woodworker/ cabinet maker, so I have someone I can learn the skills from, but I’d like to talk with a few people who are working on boats specifically.

Right now I’m thinking it’s feasible to have a shed/ work shop in the boat yard where I can turn out 2-3 smaller boats a year while working part time, some evenings and weekends. The yard space is cheap and the boat mover is reasonable so my upfront costs are fairly minimal seeing that I own the most of the tools I need. Also, South Park has an abundance of neglected boats that could be had for next to nothing. Keeping the boats to smaller, 25 feet and under, helps insure quicker turnovers. After some time the project should prove whether it can be self sustaining. This can also be a showcase for my interior refits, which I’d like to do as well.

So far I’m just in the information gathering stage. Delta declined my request to tour their facility due to confidentiality reasons. I’m persistent however, and I’ll find a way. In the meantime, the chance to tour and chat with smaller operations would be very grateful.

If anyone has any connections, please send them my way. I’d be more than happy to lend a hand in the shop while I chat with you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Justin, this is Jeff with the 30' wood/epoxy boat at AGC. I stumbled on your site after your SailNet post and I'm impressed with your work (especially your windows after just finishing replacing mine as well!). Our floor plans look super similar! Anyway, you may want to talk to the cabinetmaker/wood worker/restorer I used for my floor timber replacement and hull work, etc. His name is Duncan Robb and he works out of the Colony Wharf boat yard in Bellingham. From what I understand, they have a common shop that they let their short list of contractors use. It's a drive, but he really knows his stuff. Feel free to give me a call at 541-619-1693 or shoot an email to jeff[_dot_]burright[_at_]gmail.com if you have questions.

    Take it easy and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lead! You set your spinnaker yet?

    ReplyDelete