Sunday, February 8, 2009

Introducing winterhawk

This site will document the restoration of my newest sailboat, Winterhawk, a mid 70's Yankee MKIII 30 foot sloop.

I had been reading about Yankees for a while when I discovered a friend already had one. Bob has a MKII that literally sailed circles around my current boat, a 23 foot Westerly Pageant. From that point I knew this was going to be my next boat.

I had looked at a couple Yankees and a Tartan 30 too, but I didn't think I was ready to buy just yet. But then an email came in from a Yankee owner a couple of hours away. Winterhawk was laid up in his back yard and was no longer welcome. I promptly made plans to come take a look that coming weekend. Barring a giant hole in the boat, I was buying it. Alia and I drove up to Sequim that Saturday.

Having one bare hull restoration under my belt, I was prepared for the worst. I was quite surprised to find Winterhawk in better shape that I had hoped for. The exterior had been sanded down to the gel coat and the lead keel was exposed. The decks were stripped of all the hardware. The boat was a blank canvas and much of the back breaking work had already been done. The interior was in pretty good condition. The teak and holly sole would only need minor work to make it shine, the inside is outfitted with a fair amount of teak that will require some elbow grease to bring it back to life. The interior is pretty spartan, but that makes it easier to insulate and install new 12 & 110 power systems.

There was a Atomic 4 gas inboard with many new parts that is said to be a good runner. As a back up, there is another A4 that looks to be complete.

The owner Gordon took me on a tour of the garage and the shed pointing out the various stuff that comes with the boat. A new prop shaft, a folding prop, cushions, winches, window frames, insulation and a ton of teak and stainless odds and ends.

The deal was too good to be true. I made a deal with Gordon and left town feeling very excited.

The next week was spent finalizing plans for a spot in the South Park boat yard, and arranging for transport. Much time was spent reading online and at the library about the various options for bottom paint and debating the choices in colors, as well as buying some new tools for the daunting tasks ahead. Good Old Boat just happened to have a couple articles on bottom prep. They gave some good info on sanders and grinders. Thanks to Craigslist, I got both. Now I just need to find a ladder.




The starboard sette and hanging locker.















The quarter birth and companionway steps.




















The good 'ol Atomic 4.
















The galley and companionway.

No comments:

Post a Comment