Sunday, February 15, 2009

working







Yesterday I spent a few hours cleaning up the boat. It was a rough ride and not much stayed put. Pretty much everything found it's way onto the floor. I'll just let the pictures tell the story.


Today I spent much of the morning cleaning the vee birth and chain locker. The old shelving was removed, they were in fair condition, but sanding and painting will be much easier with them removed. Along the way I discovered that there is a liner along the lower portion of the vee birth hull sides. This means I don't need to line that with cork or wood slats which is less work, but leaves me with a plastic look. I'm going to go ahead and line the upper sides above the liner with slats. there will be a new shelve here too, so between those it should have a nice finished wood look.I was able to find a picture that shows what I'm striving for.



I also discovered the fuel tank is full. Some time was spent trying to get the tank freed up and get the hoses disconnected so it can be removed and emptied at the haz-mat place down the street.

The forward birth is pretty much ready for paint. I need to read a little more, but the topside paint I'm planning on using can work well for the interior. I'll test the roll and tip method inside to get the hang of it. When the weather warms I'll be all set to make the outside look great.

I'm planning on using wood for some of the surfaces in the forward birth. I still need to pick a wood to use through out the boat, I'll use wood for the ceiling portions of the birth, both around the forward hatch and the foot well area. There are some battens that were stapled to the hull for the old headliner. I think this method works well. I'm going to entertain this method again. I could staple the battens and then screw the finished wood to these battens and cover the screws with finish trim.

The alternative is glue the battens as I did last time. Stapling is much faster, if I'm worried about them holding I can add some epoxy to the mix, but the staples will nix the need for clamps and bracing while the glue sets. The end result needs to be pretty, but also needs to be easily removed to add hardware. There will be channels along the shelves for electrical wires.

On the way out I was also able to make a little progress on the hatch for the Westerly, adding another layer of epoxy. One more round of fairing and it should be ready for paint.
Again the same topside paint will be used here. I also scrubbed the sole briefly.
I think it'll clean up real nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment