Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Just a quick update.

I went down to the boat last night for a few hours of painting and stripping. The last coat of paint on the overheads left a few holidays. (Holiday is what you get when you miss a spot ie: “you must have been on holiday ‘cause you sure as hell weren’t there”). Then I remembered a trick I came up with during the year I worked construction. If you paint or varnish at night, or otherwise without a lot of outside light, and hold a flash light parallel to you work surface you can se the wet edge well and the little dry spots become visible. So last night I put one last coat on and used my old light trick and now they are done!

I also did some stripping in the forward berth (thanks Alia!) I’m with in 30 minutes of being done with the stripping. Close examination of the chain locker bulkhead shows some delaminating, so I’m just going to replace that with new wood.

Here are a couple interesting links. I like sailing, and sailing solo is something I consider a must know. If I need a crew my boat is too big, something I don’t think is ever going to be a problem. But I’m looking forward to checking this out.

www.nwsss.org

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=88124

Also, I’m looking for an interesting article that I’ve misplaced, maybe you can help. (I’ve been a little surprised that people are actually looking at this, even asking when I’m updating next and asking questions, thanks!)

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/52999-missing-article-help.html
I routinely save all my sailing magazines, but alas I’ve lost one and I really want to see an article again. Maybe you folks have seen the article I’m looking for.

Here’s the catch, I can’t remember which magazine it was. I routinely have 48 North, Latitude 38, Cruising World, Lat’s and Att’s, Good Old Boat and Practical Sailor around. I think it was in one of the last two.

The article was about a specific boat and upgrades the owner had done. In the head he used light weight plexi glass sheets and cut them into 1x1 tiles and tiled the head with them. They had a great tile look, but a fraction of the weight.

This was with in the last few months. If anyone knows of the magazine and month, I’d greatly appreciate the info.

I can just start experimenting, but I’d like take a second look and maybe even try to see more pictures of the tile job.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment