Friday, April 3, 2009

Thinking about bottom paint

I’ve been thinking about my options for bottom paint a lot lately. The forecast says we’re going to get close to 60 degrees this weekend. However, there were a lot of cars with a substantial amount of snow on them during this mornings commute.



I’m pretty sure I’m going with Pettit. I like the idea of there Vivid which is described as a hard ablative. Since the boat is already stripped I’m going to apply a barrier coat with Pettit’s 4700/4701 system.

I’m doing a fair amount of reading on the application of bottom paints. I think I made a break through the other day. The whole boat stand moving thing was a little confusing. Moving the stands after every coat would be time consuming, and adds to the yard fees.

I read this piece of advice. This might be common knowledge, but this is the 1st time I read it. On your 1st coat you paint right up to the pads with X color. For the barrier coat I’ll use grey since the hull is white. The next coat will be white to contrast the grey so you can see where you’ve been and insure a good coat was applied. This coat you’ll end about 2” from the pads. You’ll do the next coat in grey and again leave a 2” buffer from the last coat so now I’m 4” away from the pads. Then, once everything has cured, the stands can be moved and you have a nice pattern to follow for the final bit of painting.



I’m planning on going with black above the water line and white for the water line. I’d like to have a white bottom but that doesn’t leave me with much contrast so I’m going with red Vivid. Here is the basic Idea.




I’ve ordered a 30” Dura Block. The black will show minor defect in the hull so I’m going to put in some (many) hours with the block and high build primer to get her as fair as I can. If the weather holds I can hopefully start fairing in the next couple of weeks.



In the mean time I’ll keep plugging away inside. This weekend I hope to replace the chain locker bulkhead and pattern and install the finish wood for the sides in the forward berth. I’ll use the bulkhead I’m removing to test just how light I can get the mahogany and still keep it looking nice. I’m going to try a “clear: varnish as well as bleaching and see what comes out. I hope to have some results mid next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment