Sunday, April 19, 2009

Summer Home

I got in some quality time this weekend. I spent Friday morning running errands to ensure I didn't need to leave the boat all weekend. I finally made it down to the yard around noon.

I'm on my 8th week of working seven days a week so I can't really recall what I did each day. But over all I got the 1st coat of varnish on the starboard settee. I then destroyed the port settee.

PEOPLE, FIX DECK LEAKS!!! The bottom 3-4 inches of the port settee was delaminating and the bulkheads as well as the knee wall that separates the settee from the pilots betrh had rot! The Bulkheads were the ones just under the settee so I ripped them out. The knee wall was only rotted in the bottom 4-5 inches so I cut that area out back to good wood. It is not structural, well at least not so much that it was tabbed into the hull. I ended up replacing the settee bulkhead and making the new one extend up to the point where it meets the old knee wall. These were then tabbed into the hull and then I'll through bolt the new bulkhead to the old knee wall. This will be stronger then the original design, but not so strong that it'll create a stiff point on the hull. Backing p a bit, when I took the "lid" off the settee there was a sizable puddle of water on top of the port water tank. This was 100% rain water from the holes from the lack of toe rails. I really doubt the rot was from the time Winterhawk has been on the hard. It seems like things got wet a while back.

Anyways. I spent time destroying the old and rebuilding. I'll let the picutes tell the story.

I had two bits of great news this weekend. First, the lesser, Yankees came with several boom lenghts. 9 feet plus seems common. 10 feet something is common too. I measure mine yesterday and came up with 11 feet 5 inches. That means more horsepower so that was great news.

The other bit is not so much little news, Alia and I have been joking that Winterhawk is going to be our summer home and once she buys a house, well have a winter home. Well it looks like Winterhawk is going to become a summer home. Alia had put in an offer and she was told this weekend that it was excepted! She'll be closing June 1st so my self inposed splash of June 1st is now much more real.

I hope these pictures are of use to someone at some point. I have more interest in sleeping than typing.

Tomorrow is race one of the Ballard Cup. I'll be on the foredeck of Rev. I can't say how stoked I am. I've been practicing gybing the spinnaker over and over in my head. This morning I hoisted Andy up the rig to take measurements for new rigging. Rev is a sweet boat and Andy is a good skipper. I hope to learn a lot.

Lights out.




No comments:

Post a Comment