Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Went sailing

Still no pictures. I was having trouble uploading them and honestly I’ve just been too busy to put much time into it. But I’ll have it sorted out tonight.

Sunday was one of those frustrating days. I put in a solid days work but really didn’t have much to show for it. Every hour I work is an hour closer to being “done” but even still it’s nice to see something get finished.

I spent a lot of time sanding the new settee base and stripping the old varnish off the trim. It’s easier to strip while the pieces are still off but damn it is a slow tedious process.

I got the wine rack all built. It just needs a light sanding and then varnish.

I slapped a couple coats of paint on the back sides of the settee bases to help protect from moisture. The bottom couple inches as well as the bottom edge were all coated with epoxy to really seal them.

This weekend I’ll make the port side, didn’t get to the lumber yard before closing time on Saturday. Oops. No material, no progress.

Yesterday I went sailing. Damn it’s been too long! I sailed on Rev, a Thunderbird out of Shilshole. It’s a nice little boat, totally rigged to race. I got to run a spinnaker for the 1st time, we even gybed a bunch of times for practice. I’m hoping to get on the crew for the upcoming Ballard Cup which is a Monday night series. I was stoked to get out and see the boat and how it was rigged. There are twin controls for several things like the outhaul and cunningham so you can make adjustments easily. The spinnaker halyard can be controlled from the cockpit, but there is a secondary cam on the mast too so the bowmen can also control the halyard. I’m defiantly going to do this on Winterhawk. So simple but so useful. I’ve read plenty about spinnakers and how people have so many problems with them. That was not the case at all last night. It was pretty straight forward.

This week is really busy, I hope to get down to the boat tonight just to put some wood filler in a few scratches in some of the trim. Then it can dry and be ready for sanding on Friday. I’m off again Friday so I’ll have another three day weekend down at the boat. For real, I should have to port side done, minus varnish but Sunday. I don’t want to kick up a bunch of dust so I’ll try to get down there for a coat of varnish each night next week after work.

There is a hole in the hull for the depth meter under the port settee. I need to do some thinking if I want to keep that, or fill it and use a thru hull transducer, maybe one with a gps fish finder. I’ve been reading a lot about that lately. I like the idea of one less hole. Cost will probably be the deciding factor.

That’s about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment