Sunday, September 27, 2009

I've been making some visual progress over the last few weeks. This weekend was not exception. I put on the "last" coat of paint mid week. For this coat I tested my Dry Roll method and it really worked out well, except for a couple dry spots. I was getting close to done and in my haste missed a few spots on the starboard side.
No worries, I just gave it a little rub down with the 220 grit and rolled on the real final coat. I had one small dry spot on the port side too. I taped off around it, rolled on a light coat and let the dry for a few minutes. When I removed the tape you could see the patch a little bit. A few minutes later the paint was only lighty tacky so I was able to tamp down the edge and it blended right in. An hour later and you couldn't see any evidence.


While that was drying I started installing the windows on the port side. I picked up some butyl tape from Poulsbo RV. This stuff is great! After bedding deck hardware with goo-in-a-tube I swear by this stuff. It's sort of like silly putty. It comes in a 30 foot roll and Poulsbo RV sells 1/8" or 1/4" thick by 1' wide for just under $10.
I used the thicker tape for the 1st layer, but needed a little more goo so I ended up splitting some in half and putting a second layer on. This worked out well. Once I started tightening the screws inside plenty of butyl oozed out. Then I used a handy little tool the guy at the RV store gave me to scrape off the excess. Each window went really quick.





I was able to get all 8 port lights in, in a few hours.

I'm really happy with the progress this weekend; the boat is really looking nice. Now that I've really got the hang of rolling and Not tipping I'm going to go ahead and roll on a finish coat of black too. That might take a while, we're out of town next weekend.















Oh yeah, made some progress on the buffing too. Here's a before and after.

No comments:

Post a Comment