Wednesday, September 23, 2009

one more coat

Over the last few days I’ve put what was to be the final coat of paint on the cabin area where the port lights go. The plan is to get them in before the rains return. So far the weather looks great this weekend.
However, I’m knocking the last coat down, I’m not happy with it.

I’ve been using the roll and tip method and while it is nice and shinny from 10 feet away, up close, say 5 feet, you can see the streaks left by the tipping. Even when I used thinner. However, I experimented with strictly rolling on the cabin top and it turned out much better. I’d rather have a slight orange peel than streaks. What I did to roll is work in small areas, say 2 sqft at most. Load up the roller with paint and roll it out until you need to reload with paint, but then go back over everything you just rolled, lightly once or twice to smooth out any of the little bubbles that were left. I don’t find that this takes off any of the paint you applied. Oh, and I’m using a ultra smooth surface foam nap.
So, the area around the ports has been sanded with 220 and depending on how busy I am at work, I’ll roll on the final, final coat in the next evening or two. On Saturday morning I’m going to run down to a RV store and pick up some of the grey butyl tape to seal the ports. Ya! No more rain in the boat!
At the same time I’ve been focusing on the area around the ports, I’ve also been working on the deck so I can mount the genoa tracks and stop water from coming in there too.

Now since I’m having good results with the rolling on the decks and cabin, I’m strongly considering sanding the last coat on the hull with 220 and applying a finish coat with the roller only there too. I’m about 60% sure that will happen. I’ll know for sure after I roll the cabin sides.
I’ll try to snap some pictures in the next day or so. I’ve forgotten the camera the last couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment